5 Tips for Healthy Eating at Work
For the working professionals who stayed more than 8 hours per week at work, eating healthy can be a big challenge. With the stress that they face everyday with the various meetings that they have to attend, the deadlines that they have to meet and the like, it is easier and convenient for them to make impulsive food choices that are oftentimes unhealthy.
Just look at the food that is readily available and is perfect for someone who has a busy work schedule along with the calorie that it contains:
- Blueberry Muffin – 360 calories
- Caramel Macchiato – 180 calories
- Cheeseburger – 226 calories
- Snickers Bar – 160 calories
Just imagine how many calories you are consuming everyday when your diet consists of foods like the ones mentioned above which can easily lead to weight gain and other health problems like high cholesterol and sugar level.
But there are ways that one can follow to start eating healthy even when at work and here are a few tips:
- Start your day with a healthy breakfast. As what they always say, breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Eat healthy and heavy meal during breakfast so you have the energy to start your busy day. At least you will not starve right away that you will easily be tempted to get food from the vendo machine or grab the blueberry muffin in the pantry.
- Bring packed lunch. If you bring your own food, you can make healthier food choices and you can dictate the portion of your food. You can bring soups, salad, yogurt, sandwiches and the like which you can prepare the night before to bring to work.
- Load your drawers with healthy snack items that you can eat in between meals. You can bring in cashews, nuts, celery stick, fruits and the like that you can easily grab and eat when you feel hungry. This way, you will be able to avoid getting food from the vendo machine which contains food like chips, candies, processed foods and the like that are unhealthy and is loaded with sugar.
- Make healthier food choices when ordering for takeout or delivery. There are days when you really can’t stay away from takeout or delivery because of your busy work schedule. But you can still eat healthy by scanning at the menu and making healthier food choices. Stay away from fried food or food rich in fat, salt and sugar. Lean meat, fish, vegetables and the like can be easily ordered for take out and delivery and are healthier alternatives compared to cheeseburger and fries from fast food stores.
- If possible, eat away from your desk. Have lunch in the pantry or cafeteria so you can stay away from the work that can distract you. This way you can concentrate on the food and can avoid overeating. Walking to a nearby restaurant or even to the pantry is also a perfect opportunity to do a little exercise especially for those who spend almost the entire day sitting in front of the computer.
Life in the office can be stressful and stress can really affect the way we eat. But by simply following the tips mentioned above, you are already doing baby steps to start eating healthy while at work.
Abie works as a content writer for afbtemplates.com, the great source of animated Facebook templates.